Blog Archive

The Extreme Hike from Gunung Gading to Rock Well (Batu Berkubu)

Gunung Gading National Park, the Lundu Water Treatment Plant its just before the main entrance to the park. This means the water here are crystal clear, and good for consume. 

Its been a while since my last visit, so that morning I woke up at about 5am, after freshen up myself, I depart at about 5.30am, and reached Lundu town 5 minutes to 7am. After meeting up with friends for breakfast, we are then here at the Gading NP.

The entrance its RM10 per person, we will need to paid at the registration office.
Remember to sign out after your hike, so the person in charge will know you are safe. 
08:00am, It started off with a slow inclination, there is also a water pipeline next to the trail

A total of 7 waterfall open to public, Waterfall No.1, No.3 and also No.7. 


 8:14am, reach the junction of Waterfall No.1

08:24am, reached a pile of big rocks stacking between each others, and also a small DatoGong altar is being place here for worshiping.

Most of the trail needs to hike uphill, so for me, this is good. By the time when I descent, I don't have to use much energy, as I know I'm going to be tired by then.




08:57am, almost an hour into our hike, still following the Red and White marking to reach the summit first, then follow by the Batu Berkubu trail. 



The place are full of different type of mushroom, so many of them. 

I really enjoy seeing this scenery, bring peace to my eyes. 



09:27am, Hollow tree 



The size of this frog its not bigger than my thumb. 


11:00am, reach the summit of Gunung Gading. We rest here for about 30 mins and continue on with our hike to Rock Well. To hike to rock well, we will need to descend, from 965 m to around 600 m, the destination is to reach to the few big pile of rock at the end of the mountain range. 

 More beautiful mushroom along our hike
 The rock formation gets very interesting, some looks like a palm of the hand.

Some looks like an axe, or a sharp blade



12:04pm, this place its called the sitting rock, as this huge rock looks like its sitting on two smaller rocks. Its also known as the Windy Rock (Batu Beranin) because of the whistling noise created by the wind blowing through the rocks.
 See, the big rock stacking on top of two smalle rocks.

Some of the mushroom is as big as my phone. 

 I like the color of the mushroom hat, a bit of purple.


12:30pm, This is the Rock Well, and the info I get from the Gunung Gading park guide was Rock Well (Batu Berkubu), its on the slopes of Gunung Sebuloh, and it served as a campsite for the Indonesian and communist guerrillas during the confrontation days. Although it is often called a cave it is, in fact, a huge rock which along with the surrounding trees provides a cave-like sheltering area.

01:43pm, on my way back to the park entrance, it was a steep slope and I hike slowly up, and suddenly saw this beautiful snake right in front of my trail. Good thing i'm not running fast, I quickly take its video and picture, what a beautiful creature. It slowly craw away into the jungle. 
 03:30pm, reached the Park HQ, my legs are sore especially my toes. I need a new hiking shoes.
The view of Lundu town

A conversation between me and my friend who hike the Rock well trail twice, told me that the end of the trail looks like this, with a signboard stated 7.5km (this must be the total distance of the trail). Oh well, next round if I happen to hike to Rock Well again, I will try to hike to this point too.

Trail Details

Trail Distance: 6.48km
Total Time: 4h 36min
Max Elevation: 903 m ASL

No comments: