Borneo, Sri Aman (Simanggang) Trip with Wilson Chin



I visited Sri Aman is also called Bandar Sri Aman, and was formerly known as Simanggang. Sri Aman means "town of peace" in the Malay language. Located on the Lupar River, it is 193 kilometers, I use 2 hours to drive from Kuching.



There will be a big welcome sign upon entering the Sri Aman town, I always wanted to come here, and finally I have the chance. Something very special is it Sri Aman...


Saw a very big golden monkey statue when I reach the town, and I am born in the year of the monkey, so I have to take picture with my buddy.


The special thing about this town is this river, its called the Lupar River. This river is famous for the benak, or tidal bore. The tidal bore comes in from the river mouth and fills up the river very rapidly in the course of about 10 minutes. The wave crest at Sri Aman is up to 2 to 3 metres high. This is one of approximately 400 rivers and estuaries in the world where this phenomenon happens.

I asked a few guys who are fishing there, why there is no tidal bore? They told me to come back again on April, where the big one will come. And the town people will treat it as a festive, many people will come here to witness this rare phenomena.


The Borneo Crocodile Hunter Wilson Chin (me)

This museum is called the Fort Alice, it was situated just next to the wharf. It was built in 1864, is the oldest heritage building in Sri Aman, constructed following the victory of Rajah Charles Brooke, the second Rajah of Sarawak, over Rentap, the last of the major Iban chieftains, in 186.

The Fort was named after Charles Brooke's wife, Margaret Alice Lili de Windt. It served as a defensive structure controlling the Lupar River.

A lot of complain had been made about the restoration of this fort, and now from my observation I believe the work had been done. Its not open to the public yet, the guard told me that the district officer will get a suitable date to declare the opening of this museum to the public in future. 

Comments

Gideon Leong said…
Hi Wilson, you write a really nice blog about places in Borneo. You used to explore those places by yourself?

Nice to meet ya. -Gideon-
Wilson Chin said…
Hi Gideon, thanks for visiting my blog. Normally I travel with friends, as I'm lucky to always have the chance to explore places in Sarawak.
And do document it into my blog, with pictures that I took by myself.
Do check out my travel section to know more about Borneo. Thank you.

Cheers,
Wilson

Popular posts from this blog

Singai Mountain Climb Information by Borneo Explorer

The Bung Jagoi Heritage Centre Hike and the Bung Tesen Peak Viewpoint

Bung Bratak Heritage Centre and Waterfall Hike

Your Hiking Guide to Bukit Kasut at Niah National Park

Camping at Pugu Beach Lundu Kuching

Climbing Mountain Singai